Monday, November 08, 2004

Life after Elections

So the election hype is over- we have figured out who our nation's leader will be for the next 4 years. And I didn't post this earlier because i was having trouble with the website last week. Regardless, this post has nothing to do with politics, nor will it be a well thought out idea that is reasoned semi-logically. I just like my title, and decided i need to post something to keep my viewers happy- assuming i have any viewers. I have two comments posted on previous blogs, so I must have viewers, right?

So, I struggle sometimes with stuff. Last weekend, I was taking my students through an "encounter night" which is part of our youth ministry direction- to have time set aside to encounter Jesus instead of always doing stuff, learning, teaching, etc. I want my students to be given time to spend time with Jesus to help them to cultivate the habit in their own lives. Anyway- this requires me to spend that time myself, and more so than I normally take.

So I was sitting there going through psalm 46 one day- and I felt this conversation going on:

me- "Lord, man- this is a busy day! I have a lot to do, but i'm gonna try to spend some time with you. Boy there are so many things to do this week! But I want to give you a little time today, so, here it is. Anything to share with me?"

God- "Be still and know that I am God"

me- "right... I will, but first... holy cow, too much to do this week. First, I have some requests for you. Would you like to hear them? I know they seem like a good bit, but... I have more than requests for you! I want to spend time with you, and ask you to change me! Transform me- there's so much going on- help me to be more like Jesus! I want to be like Him so that with everything going on, I can handle it all! What cand I do?"

God- "Be still and know that I am God"

me- "Again, sounds like good advice. I'll get there, I promise! But can you give me something specific to do? My head is always swimming with stuff, and I'm always going though stuff so quickly. it's rough- I've got so much to worry about- my youth ministry, my young adults- how do i get more people to come out for those? I want to set the example for them, but..."

God- "Be still and know that I am God"

me- "Come on, that's it? don't you have anything else for me? SHEESH!! Come on- that can't be all there is! Don't you say anything else? what can i do?"

God- "Be still..."

me- "I know! Come on, something else!! that's all? Lord- i'm scared of the quiet, i don't want to quiet everything down... when i bring it down you know what's there! I have to come face to face with You! And that scares me because i have to come face to face with my own sinfulness, my own unworthiness, and how much i've messed up, even recently- I don't want to face that!"

God- "Are you done?"

me- "yeah, i think so..."

God- "Good. Be still and know that I am God."

...

No comments: