Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Inconsistency

Does anyone else in our society find themselves bothered with inconsistency? As a Christian, I am especially troubled by this- because i see it all too often in my own life! I see the life I want to live- the desire i have in my heart, and yet i do not do those things which I so badly desire to do!

I'm sorry if this post will have little to no spiritual value, but I have been bothered by something recently. First, I am unimpressed with the acceptance of death penalty in our country. I find it very inconsistent to tell someone that because you have had the audacity to kill someone, we are going to perform the same act on you! Now, I agree, when someone has killed multiple people, their life is still only one, and taking one is less than taking 5, but taking 1 life is still illegal, is it not? if I were to go out and kill 1 person, i would be thrown in jail, correct? But when it is governemnt sanctioned, then we do not have a problem?

It is funny- a friend of my wife knows a woman who says about abortion that if it were hurtful or wrong, the government would outlaw it- as though the government has set the standard for right and wrong somehow. The government says that something is wrong based on the situation you are in, not the act itself- aka, killing someone who killed others is ok, but killing someone who has not is not ok. But the only people who can kill are the government, if i were to after the killer of a close friend and kill him, I would go to jail.

Anyway, whether you agree with the death penalty or not is not the point. I'm not meaning to be political, but, I am bothered by the fact that Scott Peterson has been sentenced to death for killing his wife and unborn fetus. His wife, I can understand- he should be convicted for killing her. However, the government itself will recognized a fetus as not alive because it allows abortion. I am not saying that is right, wrong, or anything. I AM saying this- if you allow doctors to kill unborn fetus's on a daily basis- by the thousands in this country, then what crime is it for Peterson to have done the same thing? However, the death penalty is not often used in single murder cases, so the fact that he killed an unborn fetus was key to the recommendation of the jury to the death sentence, and ultimately, the judge's decision to follow through with that.

anyone else feel like they need something other than government for a moral compass?

No comments: