Tuesday, August 08, 2006

reading list- update

it never fails- I always get more and more books. Continue to pile up the collection! And it never fails that I will purchase 4 books when I have not yet finished 4 books since my last purchase, thus not only increasing my book total, but also increasing my reading list.

here are the few books i've purchased since posting my reading list, with none of the reading list actually being finished, although good headway being made in the books on the list. here we go... again:

Thy Kingdom Come: How the Religious Right Distorts the Faith and Threatens America (By Randall Balmer)& The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power is Destroying the Church (By Gregory Boyd)- These two books seem to be along the same type of topic. I was forwarded to this article by a friend of mine and as I read it, I found myself resonating with it more and more. It's not that this article has changed my view as much as it has affirmed the way I feel about things more and more. Both of these books seem to deal with the problem that arises from the "marriage" that has occured between evangelical Christians and the Republican party. While it is not wrong to be politically active and to support good causes, it is wrong for Christianity to support one political party exclusively- particularly when there are parts of both party's platforms that I resonate with as a Christian. Instead of Christianity being a balance against politic improprieties and for morality in an immoral world, they have become one of many groups in the pocket of a politically conservative party that has NO interest in Christianity or religious things in general. They have become a pawn in the hands of politicians trying to get as many people on their side as possible. As Christians, we need to be above that!! (sorry for the rant- perhaps this will become a standalone blog in the next few days)

Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory: A Journey into the Evangelical Subculture in Amaerica by Randall Balmer- this was coupled at Amazon with the book above by the same author, so I bought it because it looked interesting. a quick dive into it reveals that it is a good look into various forms of the evangelical tradition and, as revealed by the preface in Thy Kingdom Come was instrumental in this author reclaiming his roots, albeit not buying into it blindily (which no one should do with their faith)

The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring the Sabbath by Mark Buchanan- as noted in my other to read list, I can't say that I've actually heard of this particular book as much as I've really enjoyed reading from this author in the past. This book is his newest (I believe) and thus wasn't referenced in anything else (whereas Your God is Too Safe was referenced in the book of his that I'd read previously). But I'm excited about it because the topic of it seems very close to me- I've always been a big proponent of taking a day as a Sabbath, whether it is the traditional Sabbath or just a day in the week dedicated to rest and restoration. I'm curious to read more on this.

This is the addition to the list. however, I feel obligated to add this to the list, should anyone out there feel the need to question my spirituality- the Bible is more than at the top of this list- it transcends this list. If I could read one book, this would be it. If I could read nothing else, this would suffice. And as I read these books and the rest of the list, I try to match them up with Scripture. As Martin Luther said, "Sola Scriptura"

No comments: