Friday, February 16, 2007

Top 5 Concerts

Having been to one of the best concerts i can remember, i have decided to do this post. First, i want to share some of the quality of memorable concerts.

first- sing-a-bility. the better i know the band, the better the concert can be. unknown bands can barely be given high marks because i don't know the music (and loudness usually makes it better, in general) and the enjoy-able factor is lessened usually. noteable exception to this is the band "Disciple" whom i've never heard of, and is a little heavier than my usual taste, but did a great concert regardless. not top 5 worthy, but good.

second- as noted above, volume. concerts that don't make my clothes vibrate on me, particularly from the bass or kick drum, are not worth my time. that is, if it's a rock concert. the "Shane & Shane" worship night at my college church calls to mind a different type of concert that was still great.

thirdly- blending of the old and new- especially on a concert tour when they're promoting a new disc- if they do too much old stuff, no one is enticed to listened to the new stuff and if they do only new stuff, everyone gets bored and goes home.

fourth- overall general feeling, including stage presence of the band. 'nuff said.

with all that said, i do want to mention this- this list excludes the music festivals i've been to- Creation, Purple Door, Kingdom Bound- they've had some GREAT concerts- some of them comparable to the best. but too many to remember between the many different years i've been to these festivals.

now the list:
1. Audio Adrenaline- venue- Messiah College. My favorite Christian band of all time. I cannot argue that, especially when considering the nostalgia factor. they were not on tour so their set list was whatever they wanted it to be- old, new, audience suggestions (Although they didn't listen to me yelling "scum sweetheart"). but they stuck to the best stuff and went out from there. excellent.

2. Switchfoot- Main1 Arts Center in Medford, OR. the concert described below. look at previous post to see why this one ranks up there.

3. Five Iron Frenzy- Performing Arts Center at Lancaster Mennonite High School. I went to this concert by myself- couldn't find anyone in my dorm to go with me, but ended up hanging out with the "Rock For Life" booth guys. this concert had some good lead up, but far and away, one of my favorite bands doing an excellent show. capped off by the ever excellent "Every New Day" song, but also by getting my picture taken with the band who was just hanging around afterward. also, them holding my sign saying they liked my band...

4. Supertones- Forum in Woodstock, New Brunswick. Getting harder to remember all the concerts that were far and above. However, the Supertones were one of my favorite bands from their first album. I have been disappointed of late, but this concert in 1999 was off the charts. my youth pastor, as i was a youth leader by then, was not taking a group so I took a group of kids from the group in my mom's van. it was worth all of it. And their "worship" set in the middle was totally novel then, and very visibly and extension of their hearts.

5. Third Day- Giant Center in Hershey PA. This concert was pretty decent. it's harder and harder for me to like Third Day, not for their music but due to other factors. But this was before that, and the concert, while it was good, would not be in the top 5 save for this one thing- the company was the best company i've ever had- Rachel. She and i went together and that made this concert.

noteable achievers- the Kutless concert i went to a year ago- "Hearts of the Innocent" Tour- where the band Disciple opened for them. Also, first Newsboys concert i went to- when i liked them and it was the first time (of 5) that i saw this particular concert. Audio Adrenaline at Cincy '98 was also quite good.

No comments: