Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Who belongs in Church?

The other night, my fiancee and I went to visit some friends of hers who work with a para-church mostly missions group. They are on a travelling team with this group and they do shows in the places they travel to. So, when they were doing one of their shows about an hour away from us, and my fiancee hadn't seen these friends in a long time, we took the opportunity to go.

The show was put on at a church, as I guess they do pretty commonly. and as far as I know, these are intended very much to be outreach. After the show, one of the guys got up and shared from his heart, and invited people to know Jesus.

I know what you're thinking if you've read anythign here before- ok- what's the trouble. Well, even though the missions group will remain unnamed, what I want to get out today is about the church. I had never been there before, never knew it existed or anything. I was there for one reason- to visit, along with my fiancee, some of her friends. And getting a chance to see the show was pretty decent, too. But as I entered this church, I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting.

What I saw was nothing. I mean, from the people. We got inside the door- and people, who had never seen us before in their lives, just walked past us as though they hadn't seen us. I hesitate to say that they ignored us, but... I attempted to make eye contact with some people, and I was expecting someone to walk up to me and at least greet me- especially since i'd never been there before.

I saw one person nod at me while I was waiting for Rae to come out of the bathroom, and about 10 minutes after we sat down, one, as in the lonely number, person greeeted me. This would have been ok, except this guy was apparently in a rush, he stopped quickly at the table, shook my hand and asked my name- which i gave to him. He never shared his, or if he did, he did so in a voice that i couldn't hear. And then he rushed off to whatever he was doing before.

That was it- my only interaction. I did what i thought I might do as an unbeliever- sat in the back in the corner, didn't really participate in what was going on around me, and looked a little uneasy. The only giveaway that i was not an unbeliever might have been about 5 minutes before the show started, Rae and I began talking with some of her friends, who were obviously with the team.

Then, following the show, this one guy approached Rae, and this was after i was done my experiment, so we were in conversation with her friend again, and this guy told her that he thought he saw Natalie Portman sitting in the back corner of the room and had to just come over and say that. Boy, that makes me feel welcome.

There is a point to my story- which is real (as opposed to friends who make up stories to get people mad... just kidding!)- is that if I were an unbeliever, or even as a believer, I am not so sure that I would want to go back to that church again! And this service wasn't even a normal sunday morning. It was more informal... But I wouldn't, even if I could, go to this church again. I felt no connection, was not impressed by too much, and... yeah...

Unfortunately, I must say that I see this as a possible trend in the American church! Particularly in a mega-church, it is easy to get lost, to not see anyone, and though some may be looking for that, I know too many people are looking for substantial relationships. This church that I went to may have a very welcoming group of people- they may have a wonderful small group ministry and an awesome worship team. But I would not get the chance to check those things out- because my first impression was not very good and I had decided not to go back (even if I could- which i can't).

I, and many others in this country, are looking for something real! They are looking for something substantial! They are looking for real relationships that will be a measure of support for them! Particularly in a country where many young people move far from their parents and family, the church can fill and important need for the close family type relationships that we need! We all need to be loved, welcomed, accepted and made to feel important to someone.

This is one thing the Church needs to get right- because unless people are drawn to the community that we have, they will not be drawn into conversion, and ultimately into being disciples. This one church mentioned here in particular is an example of too common of a theme. Churches draw into their own circles, and they are hard to penetrate- even for Christians who are solid. I have friends who went to college who told me that after 4 years at a church, they finally felt like they might be connected to some people there... I mean, honestly, folks- 4 years for an already Christian to dig in!!

So if your church isn't like this, then don't worry- but unfortunately, most people don't realize it- it takes coming in from the outside to notice it most. But it's time to stop keeping ourselves closed off to others! The church should be for the non-believer- because, after all, "it is not the well who need a doctor, but the sick!"

Maybe I should go to Cheers? "where everybody knows your name?" or how bout some coffee shop in NYC- "I'll be there for you"

No comments: