Thursday, July 13, 2006

reading list

so, in light of yesterdays little blogging session, I feel inspired to share with you my current reading list. I've removed a BUNCH of books off my shelves and put them on my "to read" pile. I'm going to name them all here and why/how I came in contact with each book. This is a pretty good sized list, but takes a large chunk out of the "on my shelf but never read it" books.

so, here we go- in no particular order. I would recommend each of these books mostly because I haven't read them, or at least, in their entirety, but mostly because they came recommended to me somehow.

  • Your God is Too Small by JB Phillips- got for my Christian Theology class in college. Forgot that we had an assignment on the book and missed turning in my paper about it. We discussed it, but there are some good little nuggets I want to pull from it. It's a small book.

  • Read, Think, Pray, Live by Tony Jones- a book I'd gotten a year and a half ago- was previewing it to use as book study for my youth group- decided against it, but maybe now. I'm over halfway through- I just need to finish it now.

  • 21 Things God Never Said by R. Larry Moyer- I don't read much by people from Dallas Theological Seminary, but this book was particularly enticing. It is primary a book regarding evangelism and takes 21 common misconceptions and puts some light to them. I started reading a few days ago. This may be a good book for a book study, too.

  • Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller- You may note this is on my list of books in my profile. It has been recommended to me by so many people, I don't think I could start to count! Rachel bought it for me for Christmas and I just haven't gotten to it yet. Note the long list of books- that's why.

  • Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi by David Crowder- One of my favorite worship leaders, I have heard excellent things about this book. I began it in the middle of May because I was using some material from it for a sermon I preached. Now I want to finish it- I've had a few times to sit and read it, but have not made that conscious effort.

  • Love, Sex and Relationships by Dean Sherman. Actually a book that Rachel acquired while she was with YWAM, it's a book that I totally want to read. What i've previewed of it is excellent and I may want to do a book study with my youth group through this book, as well.

  • Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper- I was turned on to Piper by Luke as he helped Rachel and I move across the country. Then, my senior pastor preached a series about joy from another of Piper's books. Seemed like something I'll want to be reading.

  • When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy by John Piper- Actually a book I'd begun a while ago, but it got misplaced as I had to use it to prop up the projector at youth camp and now no one seems to know where it is. As it is replaced, it will be started again.

  • No More Mr. Christian Nice Guy by Paul Coughlin- I simply noticed this book as I walked through Borders last October. I picked it up, read the book jacket and leafed through the Contents page, and some of the book. Looked like an interesting read. Haven't gotten into it yet, I'll let you know how it turns out. A little put off that the foreward was written by Dr. Laura.

  • Your God is Too Safe by Mark Buchanan- I had read another book by this author- Holy Wild. I picked it up off the shelf at Barnes and Noble one day while I was just browsing. The title caught me and I bought and read. He referenced this one many times, and reminded me of the JB Philips book that I have listed. Seemed like a logical next book.

  • God in the Details: American Religion in Popular Culture by Eric Michael Mazur and Kate McCarthy- I have read certain portions of this book- it was a required source for my "Senior Seminar in Theology and Religion" class in college. They were good books. Plus, it seems like the kind of book I'd want to read as I find myself engaging my faith with culture on a regular basis.

  • Paradoxes for Living by N. Graham Standish- this book was required reading for my "Christian Spirituality" class. The prof was so boring. I read enough out of the book to be able to participate in discussion. The discussion was good and encouraged me to read it, but in college, there was no time for non-class reading pretty much. So it got put on the shelf.. And stayed there.

  • Created for Community: Connecting Christian Belief with Christian Living by Stanley Grenz- a required book for my "Christian Theology" class. It was our primary source book, and I read some of it- it was good, but for some reason, I insisted on being a bad student (this was during my first year at college when I needed to make adjustments to my study habits). Seemed like something I may want to pick up and finish off, especially in my current situation where community seems to be to a lesser degree than in many places Ive been.

  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis- hard to believe I've never read this "essential" classic of the faith. But I haven't. I've read others of Lewis's books, but not this. It is lauded with praise, it'll be worth taking on.

  • The Power of a Praying Husband by Stormie Omartan- My step-father got this for me for Christmas/my birthday right before I was married. Its not a very long book, but I have not taken the time to go through it. It seems like it will be a break from the HEAVY books on this list, but hopefully it will be something useable, too. Sometimes I feel as though I'm not the husband I want to be and I'm thinking there's something I can do about it.

  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life by Marjorie J. Thompson- diving back in DEEP, this book was for my spirituality class as well. Again, the boring prof, etc, etc... Squeaked through by reading a little and participating in discussion, etc. Really DO want to read this, and have actually begun it. It's very thick reading and I can get a chapter at a time before I really need to reflect on it. I have to stop in the middle sometimes just to keep up.

  • Conformed to His Image by Kenneth Boa- Bought this book online as a suggestion to preview for the young adult ministry I was leading at New Hope. Got it and found it was much bigger than I expected as well as a very deep book- probably a little more than we wanted to do. So after a quick preview, went to the shelf.

  • The Great Worship Awakening by Robb Redman- a recommended book that had a good review written to it. Bought it online and just haven't gotten to it. Really excited for it, but... no dice so far.

  • The New Worship by Barry Liesch- another recommendation with a good review, I have started this book, but it got buried under the pile of stuff I needed to do while at New Hope. Apparently, preparing me spiritually for leading worship and researching worship trends was not part of my primary job as worship leader there.

  • The Seven Cries of Today's Teens by Timothy Smith- a quick preview led me to thinking this was more a book for parents. But I want to know what's in there because I'm here for parents as well as teens as the youth pastor. So it's on the list.

  • Streams of Living Water by Richard Foster- The author of what I'd consider to be one of the most comprehensive books on the Christian Disciplines, A Celebration of Discipline. I read that book and it was intellectually stimulating, excited my faith and encouraged me toward growth! I bought this book shortly after having read that and have simply not taken the time to read it. It's a large book, and it promises to be as deep as Celebration of Discipline- it may take a long time to read. But I'm sure it will be excellent.

  • Unbreakable: The Seven Pillars of a Kingdom Family by Tom Elliff- a book I just happened to pass at Ollie's Bargain Basement- I got it for $2.99. It's not a large book, and I'm not sure I've heard of the author before. It's a book I'll read with my "Satan Sense" in gear (see Simpsons Episode- 13x11- She of Little Faith).


  • If it looks like a lot, that's because it IS. I'm very ambitious and I know that this will not be completed by this summer, maybe not even by the end of the year, but I'll be working on it. Stay tuned as this has inspired me to put together a list of book recommendations from my shelves. While this list is primarily Christian things, that list may not be.

    1 comment:

    luke middleton said...

    Blue Like Jazz was recommended to me a while ago, too, by multiple people. I read it and liked it.

    However, later I realized something I hadn't before. Skim through real quick and count the number of Scripture references you find. Sometimes Miller can be more postmodern than Christian. Ironically, he did a podcast or something once with Derek Webb (hardcore Lutheran). Weird.

    In hindsight, Blue Like Jazz is good on some specific levels. Must be careful with it. The stuff on community was good (two chapters later in the book), I thought. But, some dangerous approaches in his writing, I think.